Select Page

The Police have Informed That Jobes Robbed His Wife After Shooting Her Down.

Dropping out of sight as if the earth had swallowed him, Henry Jobes, sought by the police as the murderer of his wife, has vanished completely, taking with him, according to the estimate of one of his sons, sixty dollars which he took from the woman’s pocket, along with her watch after he had killed her. This, taken in conjunction with the fact that the missing man had packed his grips the night before, points to a deliberately planned murder and the theory freely advanced that Jobes committed suicide shortly after the commission of his crime, is not considered tenable by the police.

It was at first supposed that Jobes had no money, as he was known to be continually more or less short of the sinews of war and would therefore fall the more easily into the dragnet spread for him, but it is now evident that he had made advance arrangements to effect his get-away, it being known to him that his wife was in possession of a considerable sum of money.

There is however no slackening of the efforts to effect his capture in which the sons are lending their best assistance. Amplified descriptions and duplicates of a photograph, supplied by the sons, are being circulated and it is not considered likely that he can long evade arrest.

The chain of facts pointing to a deliberately planned murder is very complete, with but one irreconcilable feature, viz., the tone of the letters he wrote to the dead woman. 

The weapon with which the crime was committed was bought at 12 noon on Friday, yet Jobes worked all afternoon at Schaakes Machine Works evidently awaiting an opportune moment to put his ghastly intentions into execution. It is possible however, that he intended making a final appeal in person to be taken back into the life of the family which would have been in keeping with the last letter he wrote, in which he said he loved his wife and could not live without her. Then, when he found that his appeals were in vain, that the long life of misery of which he had been the cause had hardened the heart of his wife, so that his beseeching did not move her. Maddened with rage, he shot her.

The deceased came to her death as a result of a bullet wound inflicted by the hand of her husband Henry Anderson Jobes, who did wilfully, maliciously and with malice aforethought kill and murder Sarah Ann Elizabeth Jobes. Such was the verdict returned by the coroner’s jury empanelled in the police court this afternoon by Captain Pittendrigh to enquire into the death of Mrs Jobes who was murdered in her home at 427 Fourth Street on Saturday morning.

Saturday June 16th
Alleged Murderer Makes No Statement – Committed For Trial Faced by his Sons.

Brought up in the police court this morning before Police Magistrate Edmonds, Henry Anderson Jobes was formally charged with the murder of his wife, Sarah Ann Elizabeth Jobes, in her home at 427 Fourth Street on the morning of Saturday last. Prisoner made no statement and was committed for trial in the next court of competent jurisdiction.

The evidence was substantially that given at the inquest and the only feature was in the testimony of Constable Johnston who said that the accused had admitted he was guilty of the crime he was arrested for. The magistrate however, ruled this evidence inadmissible on the grounds that the accused had not specified the crime.

Calm and Composed

The prisoner was apparently quite calm during the recital of the various witnesses' stories and did not appear moved when Dr Kenny described the finding of the body with a bullet wound in the head. When the sons of the accused man took the stand however, he buried his head in his arms and refused to look up. On being asked by the magistrate if he wished to make a statement, Jobes replied, “No, I have nothing to say".

Mr George Speck testified that he had sold a 32 calibre revolver of U.S. pattern at noon on the day before the crime, but failed to identify the prisoner, although he stated that Jobes appearance was similar to the man who bought the gun. A fellow employee in Schaakes Machine Works swore that on the afternoon of Friday 2nd, Jobes told him he had bought a revolver and was going to have a little fun with it.

His Wanderings

Since the time Jobes was seen to board the Vancouver car last Saturday morning until he was apprehended yesterday, his whereabouts are somewhat a mystery, although Chief Bradshaw has succeeded in tracing his movements up till Tuesday last. According to his own statement, Jobes went to Vancouver, where he stayed in a rooming house until Monday. This rooming house is in the neighbourhood of Carl Avenue and Alexander Street, near where Mrs Jobes purse was picked up on a vacant lot. When arrested Jobes had no money and he has not given any information as to what he has done with it or the gun. Chief Bradshaw is of the opinion that he has concealed these somewhere.

Leaving the city Jobes walked to Westminster Junction where he was seen on Tuesday morning as a result of which the Chief went out to the junction that afternoon immediately on the receipt of a telephone message, but the elusive Jobes had disappeared, being in all probability hiding in the bush. From that point all trace of him is lost until he reappeared in the vicinity of the St Mungo cannery two days ago. He is reported to have been hanging around the cannery for some time before he finally declared himself to the employed there and boarded the tug 'Clutha' for the city yesterday about noon.

Was He in Blaine?

Disjointed statements volunteered by the alleged murderer yesterday afternoon in the police station are to the effect that, travelling at night and hiding in the bush in the daytime, he reached an American city which he supposed to have been Blaine. A fact that casts doubt on this however is that he appears to have no definite idea as to the lapse of time, stating that he was several days in each place he mentions, whereas it is certain that only three days elapsed from the time he was seen at the junction until he finally caved in and gave himself up.

His shoes moreover do not show any sign of prolonged or strenuous walking and the probability is that he has really spent most of the intervening time in the bush, wandering in circles and finally coming out at the cannery. This would account for the fact that he had not eaten anything for several days and the dazed condition in which he has been since he came to the city would be natural in the circumstances.

When he was being taken to jail Jobes asked the police for a smoke and said, “I wish they would hang me tomorrow".